First, Izzy David’s podcast of my story “The Little Things” is now up at Every Day Fiction. Please have a listen and rate it if you feel so moved.
Second, story sale! I’m pleased to say that my story “Ghost Writer to the Dead” has been accepted for Penumbra‘s October 2012 Edgar Allan Poe issue.
And finally, so it’s not all about me, some pimpage for writerly compatriot Marshall Payne, who has recently released two novels, Petrol Queen and Jimmy-Don and the Texas Hill Country Ordeal. I haven’t had a chance to read them myself just yet (because I’m a horribly slow reader with a very large to-read pile), but if they’re anything like Marshall’s short fiction, they’ll make for a fun, quirky read. You can find links to them on his Amazon author page.
I’m currently trying to readjust to reality after a couple weeks away—first for a week of writerly workshoppiness at TNEO, and then for a week of vacationy goodness down the shore. My brain’s a little scattered, so bear with me as I share the writerly randomness that has occurred during my absence:
* First, story news! My flash piece “The Little Things,” which was published in Every Day Fiction last month, will be available as a podcast (read by Izzy David) on August 13.
* While at TNEO, I finished a shiny new short story called “Memories of Mirrored Worlds” and sent it off into the world. Fly, little story! Fly!
* Speaking of TNEO, it was once again fun and full of awesome people. Lots of great feedback and brainstorming and bouncing around of ideas. Not to mention a highly hysterical evening of people trying to read bad sex scenes without laughing.
* Among my revelations at TNEO this year: I need to stop procrastinating and just revise My Big Fat Epic Fantasy Novel already. I’ve spent the last couple years stopping and starting and hemming and hawing and it’s all rather silly at this point. Brainstorming is all well and good, but there comes a point when the only way to figure out what works is to just finish the damn thing.
* BUT! Before I go back to the novel, I will revise a few short stories that are in need of attention. Revisions on one of those began this morning and will continue after I finish with this post. Which means now.
I mentioned in a recent post that my story “Final Report” would be getting some podcast love in the near future. Well, the future is now. Or rather, the future was Saturday. So the future is the past? Anyway, “Final Report” was read on episode 258 of Paul Cole’s Beam Me Up! program, and you can have a listen here: Beam Me Up!
And so it’s not all about me, I’m going to pimp ‘s story Lavanya and Deepika at Demeter’s Spicebox. I had the chance to critique an earlier version of it and found it pretty awesome then, so I imagine it’s even more awesome now.
Urgh, so much for resurfacing on the blogosphere. Well, I did resurface. I just got sucked right back into the Void Of Too Much Else To Do. I have a feeling that’s going to be happening a lot over the next few months.
So the bulleted version of what this writer has been up to:
* I’ve been encountering far too much lately that has led to forehead slapping and *head desk* moments.
* After much demanding from my brain, I returned to the slow-going revisions on My Big Fat Epic Fantasy Novel–so of course a short story idea immediately started jumping up and down and waving its arms around and asking for a little love. Stupid brain.
* I began my dive into the critique fest that is TNEO.
* I changed the look of my website.
* More details to come, but it looks like my story “Final Report” (from issue 4 of the sadly short-lived Darker Matter) will get some podcast love in the near future.
* The last few months spewed so much crazy all over the place that my attempts at establishing a routine were repeatedly thwarted. That really needs to change. I was determined to get myself onto something resembling a consistent schedule starting today. It’s not even noon yet and that plan’s already gone to pot.
And on that note, I think hear the unmistakable sucking sound that is the Void Of Too Much Else To Do.